Thursday, May 29, 2014

My 'Dear Diary' Style of Writing

I have had journals for many many years. In fact I remember when I was maybe 7 or 8 in my bedroom at night writing in a notebook. I filled tons of these notebooks and decorated them with stickers and doodles. It wasn't until I was in high school that I realized what a fantastic tool this book was.


In high school is when I had my first serious boyfriend. My life was changing as I was getting older and I found that my journal quickly became a best friend. Initially I would turn to friends and blab to them about my personal relationship and quickly found that it wasn't such a good idea that I did that. It took one time and I was completely turned off from sharing something so personal with this person. My journals are not only a best friend but they don't judge me and I can talk/write in them for as long as I want to. You might argue that it doesn't talk back to me and give me advice but I have found a way that it actually does give back.
After scribbling secrets, feelings and arguments to my journals I found that when I would go back to learn from my experiences I would grow as a person. I was actually learning from myself. I had a relationship once where my boyfriend did alot of communicating through email. I would copy down those emails in my journal and then work it out in my journal. I also would quickly jot down arguments that I might have with a friend or a boyfriend and quickly found that I could work through my problems better than going to someone.
When you are heated or angry or sad about something you may want to step back and journal it. Try it! See if you come to a conclusion or if not a conclusion perhaps you can think more clearly. Do you find that maybe that person could have been right? I find that journaling prevents me from exploding at people. I'm able to process my feeling better in a journal and then discuss my issues rather than just shouting or yelling without thought. Are there patterns or bad habits that you are noticing? Write it down! What did you find? Is there a trigger?

Try this style of writing and watch as you grow! It's pretty incredible but has been working for me for over 15 years and I love it more than anything in the world!!

Check out my video for more thoughts on this style of writing!



1 comment:

  1. Hi! I just want to say THANK YOU! for sharing your journals and your stories. I also have always kept a journal most of my life. Recently I found myself not writing in one. I went 4 months without touching my current journal. I found the hobonichi and thought that may help me start writing again but the cost stopped that plan. Anyhoo...I could go on & on here....the bottom line is thank you!~ you inspired me to pick up my pen and start again. Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete